Happy afternoon, Saskatoon! My iPhone tells me it’s minus-12 heading towards a -10 high before things get cold this week, so get your winter clothes ready. Sunset is 6:55 (sunrise was 7:41); tomorrow’s sunrise is 7:38. News!
1. TODAY IN THE SASK PARTY Convicted impaired driver Don McMorris is back in the Sask Party caucus, which he shouldn’t be because he should’ve resigned, and Brad Wall has stopped taking top-up pay which is good because he’s Saskatchewan’s premier, not just the Sask Party leader.
2. CANADIAN WOMEN STILL DON’T EARN AS MUCH AS MEN Story in The Globe And Mail. TL; DR: “Canada’s gender pay disparity is larger than the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development average. Canada has also tumbled down the World Economic Forum’s global gender gap rankings, to 35 th place, from 19th place two years earlier.”
3. “YOU’VE BEEN TRUMPED”: U.S. BORDER AGENT DENIES ENTRY TO BROWN-SKINNED CANADIAN, TELLS HER SHE NEEDS AN IMMIGRANT VISA Classy.
4. THE MAJORITY OF CONSERVATIVES DO NOT BELIEVE IN CLIMATE CHANGE Good read here. Saskatchewanians and Albertans are much more likely to reject facts than other Canadians.
5. “BLAH BLAH BLAH SHARIA LAW BLAH” There were rallies nation-wide Saturday against a parliamentary motion to condemn Islamophobia. The protests were met by counter-protests across Canada. In Saskatoon, Canadian Coalition of Concerned Citizens protesters were opposed by anti-racism protesters. In Regina, a Planet S reporter said small group of anti-Islamics had their Fox News-style talking points utterly squashed by a cheerful crowd of 50-plus people promoting a message of tolerance, diversity and peace. Here’s stories on rallies in Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary and Canadian Coalition of Concerned Citizens ground zero, Montreal. Anti-racism demonstrators heavily outnumbered CCCC protesters at all the demonstrations I looked up. Here’s a column on what it all means.
6. SIKH MAN SHOT IN SEATTLE Some poor guy working on his car in his driveway was wounded by a masked gunman who told him to “go back to your own country.” This happens a week after a man of Indian descent was killed by a 50-something white man who allegedly told him to “get out of my country.”
MAGIC HELICOPTER OR CAMERA TRICK? Occam’s Razor demands the simplest explanation, so magic it must be.