Take a peek inside the mind of our film critic, as he watches a film in real time.
- A Blue Sky production. Surprised they’re sticking around and sharing the same playground as Pixar and Disney Animation.
- I miss Scrat. As for the rest of Ice Age, I hope they went extinct…
- Will Smith is Lance, a lone wolf/super spy taking on an army of henchmen. So, a standard Will Smith movie.
- STOP THE PRESSES!!! Ben Mendelsohn is the bad guy.
- Mendelsohn is such a compelling presence. It’s unfortunate he’s the pigeonholed (see what I did there) as a villain. Totally writing that.
- The short this movie is based on, Pigeon: Impossible, is a hoot. So far, the feature version is very standard.
- In this world, everybody wears skinny jeans…
- Tom Holland is Walter, the would-be sidekick Lance doesn’t want. Good to know he has a future as a voice actor (he’s also the lead in Pixar’s Onward).
- Is… this… movie… anti-gun? Bold choice!
- The Red States won’t like that…
- I could watch a whole movie about Will Smith freaking out over becoming a pigeon (“I can SEE MY BUTT!!!”)
- I get it: Mom died in the line of duty, Walter wants to protect everyone with silly inventions. There’s an acronym for that.
- What is DJ Khaled famous for?
- The movie reminds us for the twentieth time Lance is not a team player. Street pigeons be like…
- Animated Venice looks nice. No floods. Oh, wait…
- Spies in Disguise has a deconstructive vibe: Violence begets more violence. I dig…
- Writers, you’re killing me, you have a chance to humanize poor Ben Mendelsohn and you pass?!
- I’ll take Spies in Disguise over any glorification of firearms, especially in movies for children.
Spies in Disguise opens Christmas Day, everywhere.